Logging in to Blackboard
Overview: What is Blackboard?
Blackboard is a system for accessing course materials online. Many (but not all!) instructors at Durham Tech use Blackboard in a variety of ways, for example: to post course information, handouts, assignments, tests, grades, or to have online discussions.
Note: Check with your instructor to find out if he or she is using Blackboard. If not, then you will not find information about that course on Blackboard.
What do I need in order to use Blackboard?
In order to access a course on Blackboard you need:
- A computer with Internet access and reasonably current web browser. We recommend:
- An email account (can be a free email account such as those available at www.gmail.com )
- A Blackboard account
Additional requirements (Java, cookies, etc)
- Current version of Java must be installed (how to get the current version of Java)
How do I get a Blackboard account?
To get a Blackboard account, you must register and pay for a class that uses Blackboard.
Your Blackboard account becomes active and ready on the first day of class (and not before!)
Where on campus can I access Blackboard?
On Durham Tech's campus, you can access Blackboard from any open computer lab. See the Computer Lab Schedule for a listing of lab locations and open hours.
You can also access Blackboard from any computer, anywhere in the world, that has Internet access (from your home, at work, your local library, etc).
How do I log in?
Determine your username and password
Before you can log in, you need to know your 7-digit student ID number. You can find your student ID number on your student ID card and your registration form.
How can I find out what my student ID number is?
Credit Students: You can find your 7-digit student ID number:
- printed on your student ID card - (to obtain a student ID card, visit the Campus Police office)
- on the top left corner of your registration form
- on all other official college documents
- Continuing Education students - Look up your Blackboard username and password here: Continuing Education Blackboard Username Look-up Tool
- Adult HS/Basic Skills/ESL students - Before you can log in, you need to know your 7-digit student ID number. Contact your instructor for help finding your student ID number.
- Your username is based on the name you provided when you applied to Durham Tech.
- Any name changes or misspellings will need to be corrected in the Student Records Office.
- Usernames do NOT contain spaces or symbols such as hyphens, dashes or apostrophes.
- For example, O’Reilly becomes oreilly and Smith-Baker becomes smithbaker.
- When your Blackboard account is first created, your password is set to your 8-digit birth date (MMDDYYYY).
- If you change your password, it remains whatever you change it to FOREVER (or until you change it again). Your password does NOT revert back to your 8-digit birth date (MMDDYYYY) each new semester.
Log in to Blackboard
To log in to Blackboard:
- Login to Blackboard
- Click on the LOGIN button
- Enter your user name and password (see above)
- Click on the LOGIN button
When I log in to Blackboard I don't see all my courses listed, why?
When you log in to Blackboard you are on the "Welcome" screen. Some courses you are taking may not be listed here!
If your courses are not listed on the Welcome screen:
- Don't PANIC!
- Find out the start date of the courses you are taking. Start dates can be found on the class schedule page.
Note: Your Blackboard courses will not be visible until the class start date.
If it's after the class start date and you STILL don't see your courses:
- Check with your instructors to find out if they are using Blackboard
- Check with your instructors to find out if they have made their courses "available" to students
Change your password - REQUIRED
To change your Blackboard password:
- Login to Blackboard
- Click on the Welcome tab and go to the Tools area (left side of the screen)
- Click on the "Change Password" link
- Click on the "Change Password"
- In the "Password" field enter your new password (The new password should be something that you easily remember. It should also be kept secret.)
- In the "Verify Password" field enter your new password again
- Click SUBMIT
- Click OK button twice
REMEMBER: If you change your password, it will remain whatever you change it to FOREVER (or until you change it again). It will NOT revert back to your 8-digit birth date (MMDDYYYY) next semester.
Forgot your Blackboard password?
You are required to provide the following information to proceed with resetting your Blackboard password:
- your first name AND
- your last name AND
- your Blackboard username OR your email address on file in Blackboard
Notes: An active email address stored in Blackboard must be associated with your account to change the password. An email will be sent to the address on file in Blackboard with instructions on how to change your password. Your current password will remain active until it's changed by following the instructions provided in the email that you receive.
Where do I go for help?
We suggest that you look around on this site, which contains answers to the most common questions.
If you can't find an answer here, or want to ask a real person, you can Contact Blackboard Support.