What is Jing?
The concept of Jing is the always-ready program that instantly captures and shares images and video... from your computer to anywhere. Try it, you'll like it. It's free.
- How to create a Screenshot (picture) with Jing handout (pdf)
- How to create a Screencast (video) with Jing handout (pdf)
- Snap a picture of your screen. Record video of onscreen action. Share instantly over the web or email.
- Elegant and simple, Jing's minimal feature set keeps the focus on instant sharing. We think it's the perfect companion to the casual, fast-paced online conversations we all have every day.
Why do instructors use Jing?
- They use Jing to create a screen shot or a picture of what is displayed on your computer screen:
- Show a picture of a diagram or process and add it to Word, PowerPoint or Sakai
- Provide a roadmap to a part of your course for your students
- Show your students how to make screen shots, so they can show instead of tell you about a problem
- They use Jing to create a screencast or a video recording of actions that occur on your computer screen:
- Instructors introduce themselves to their students
- Provide tours of the “online” parts of their class
- Explain concepts and demonstrate how to perform math, science or computer lab assignments
- Write a script for your video!
- Check out an intro video and/or screen shots/written instructions of "How to use Jing"
- Visit the Jing web site to download the product at home; contact IT to download on your work computer. Or try it out in Tech Center 952.
- The Jing Learning Center has great tutorials and tips to help you get started using Jing.
- When you install Jing, you create a screencast.com id, where you can store your video and share the link. You can also upload Jing videos to YouTube.
- Share the link to your script, too!
- Hardware Needed for Screencasting:
- Use a microphone, headset, or webcam for recording audio
- Use your computer speakers or headset to listen to audio
How do you add Jing screenshots and screencasts to Sakai?
Ideas and Examples for Using Jing
- Here are Step-by-Step instructions provided by an instructor who used Jing with her class Show Me How Videos: On Demand!
- This article describes how an instructor provides student feedback on an assignment using Jing